Logo of National Resource Center on AD/HD
Home · Register · NRC Library    in Spanish
Ask a Question About AD/HD
Frequently Asked Questions

Now that the holidays are over, how do I get things back to normal?

Find us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter HelpForADHD on YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Our health information specialists are here to help. Contact us at 800-233-4050 or online.

Many people experience a certain let down after the holidays. The weather is usually bleak and un-decorating can be a chore.  So why not have a party! Many people have tree decorating parties, why not have an un-decorating party for the kids. You can serve some favorites like popcorn and hot chocolate or hot dogs and chips and let them picnic as they help take down the tree.

You can also make this a time to take stock of what worked and what didn't. If it wasn't fun or meaningful, cross it off your list for next year!

Making the job easier:

1.      Purchase sturdy storage boxes, tape and labels. Any job is easier if you have the right tools. Better yet, get the ones especially designed for ornaments.

2.      Take the time to declutter. Toss any broken decorations or those that you have used for ages. 

3.      Take your time. Un-decorate one room at a time. Not everything needs to be done in one day or by January 1.

Make plans for the New Year. Take special time for yourself between the December holidays and New Year's. Go for a walk; sit alone by the fire or in a favorite spot. Decide on three goals that you would like to accomplish in the coming year. Now open your new year's calendar or planner and write these three goals on the page for each month. This will not only provide a monthly reminder to check your progress but will also allow you to see how far you have come. Select a special time for yourself each week or month and pencil it in. While it might not always work out, the idea that you are important and deserve some time for yourself will still be there to act on as you are able.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is Executive Function?
Can you help me find a doctor or mental health professional?
Is there a simple test to diagnose ADHD?
What is Section 504?
If I request an evaluation, doesn't the school have to do it?
The school says my child has ADHD; now what do I do?
The school says my child needs Ritalin; where do I get it?
My child has been diagnosed with ADHD; isn't he automatically qualified for Section 504 services?
What is FAPE under IDEA?
What is FAPE under 504?
What is the difference between Section 504 and IDEA?
My child has ADHD but doesn't qualify for an IEP; can he still qualify under Section 504?
Can someone with ADHD join the military?
I need information on ADD, not ADHD! Do you have any information on ADD?
I've heard of auditory processing disorder (APD.) Could my child have that instead of ADHD?
Are Charter Schools required to follow IDEA?
Does my child need to be physically disabled to get services?
Is it safe for a woman with ADHD to take stimulant medication when she is pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant?
I'm an adult; doesn't ADHD only affect children?
What is LRE?
Is it illegal to carry ADHD medications?
If my child has an IEP or gets special education, does she have to be in a different classroom?
My child started taking medication and has developed tics. What do I do?
My daughter wants to play college basketball. Will NCAA rules force her to stop taking her ADHD medication?
My child is very bright. He can't have ADHD, too, can he?
Are children who take stimulant medications more likely to abuse drugs or alcohol later in life?
Can you help me find a summer camp for my child?
I get really stressed over the holidays. Do you have any suggestions to help me cope?
Obesity and ADHD: What's the connection?
Smoking and ADHD: What's the connection?
My child goes to a private (non-public) school. Do I have a right to see my child's educational records?
Marijuana is now legal in some areas of the U.S. What is the impact of taking marijuana for the teenager or young adult with ADHD?
My child was just diagnosed with ADHD.
Is she eligible for SSI?
My child has been diagnosed with ADHD and I believe she may be eligible for SSI.
What do I need to do to apply?
I've been told that an educational advocate could assist me at my child's IEP meeting. What is an educational advocate and how can I find one?
My daughter has ADHD and is a junior in college. There is a course requirement she must meet to graduate and so far she's failed the course three times. Is there any way she can get a waiver for this requirement so she can graduate?
Will my child's Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 plan transfer if he changes schools?
View all Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a question about AD/HD

Print Page · Email Page · About Us · Contact Us
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Site Map