Logo of National Resource Center on AD/HD
Home · Register · NRC Library    in Spanish
Ask a Question About AD/HD
Educational Issues

Educational Rights

Topics in this section:

Find us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter HelpForADHD on YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Our health information specialists are here to help. Contact us at 800-233-4050 or online.

ADHD can impact education and development from a very young age. Child Find, public school systems, some private schools and even colleges and universities are obligated to help their students with ADHD and other disabilities rise to meet education challenges.

Children with ADHD (of all three subtypes: predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive, and combined) may face many challenges in a traditional school setting and may qualify for educational services and accommodations, even if their needs are minor. Two laws in particular, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, are specifically designed to ensure that students with disabilities receive equal access to education and school activities.  Both acts guarantee a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) to all children, regardless of ability. From simple accommodations intended to "even the playing field" to special education services in typical classrooms with supplemental services, the laws are in place to provide valuable services to eligible children with disabilities. 

For an overview, see The special education process: Step-by-step diagram

This diagram may be found in the NRC's guide, Educational Rights for Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): A Primer for Parents (This single guide is printed in both English and Spanish).

Related Topics:

Other Web Sites:

Frequently Asked Questions
Does my child need to be physically disabled to get services?
What is LRE?
My child goes to a private (non-public) school. Do I have a right to see my child's educational records?
I've been told that an educational advocate could assist me at my child's IEP meeting. What is an educational advocate and how can I find one?
Will my child's Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 plan transfer if he changes schools?
View all Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a question about AD/HD

Print Page · Email Page · About Us · Contact Us
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Site Map