Logo of National Resource Center on AD/HD
Home · Register · NRC Library    in Spanish
Ask a Question About AD/HD
Educational Issues

Educational Issues

Topics in this section:

Find us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter HelpForADHD on YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Our health information specialists are here to help. Contact us at 800-233-4050 or online.

Children, adolescents, and adults diagnosed with ADHD often find it very difficult to succeed in school.  Individuals with ADHD struggle with various combinations of hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattentiveness.  The behaviors that come from these symptoms make it challenging for students with ADHD to interact with the typical school setting in the same way that their non-ADHD peers are able to.

This section addresses several major issues associated with ADHD and the educational process.  At the top of this list is the issue of educational rights of children with ADHD enrolled in public school.  Children with ADHD enrolled in public schools may be eligible for certain services that schools are required to provide under two federal laws:  IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (commonly referred to simply as "Section 504").

Information is also provided on the unique challenges faced by the college student with ADHD and finding financial resources for the ADHD student.

Our section For Teachers is currently being developed and we hope to have more information soon.

Related Topics:

Other Web Sites:

Frequently Asked Questions
What is Section 504?
If I request an evaluation, doesn't the school have to do it?
The school says my child has ADHD; now what do I do?
The school says my child needs Ritalin; where do I get it?
My child has been diagnosed with ADHD; isn't he automatically qualified for Section 504 services?
View all Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a question about AD/HD

Print Page · Email Page · About Us · Contact Us
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Site Map