Logo of National Resource Center on AD/HD
Home · Register · NRC Library    in Spanish
Ask a Question About AD/HD
Educational Issues


Topics in this section:

Find us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter HelpForADHD on YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Our health information specialists are here to help. Contact us at 800-233-4050 or online.

Making the transition to higher education, whether it be to a university or community college, can be difficult for individuals with ADHD.

Depending on the school, college students with ADHD can obtain a variety of educational supports and accomodations.

Choosing a College

It is important to research and visit each college to which you intend to apply. Most colleges have a department or office that handles services and accomodations for individuals with disabilities, but the level and quality of such services will vary from campus to campus.

There are some colleges that are dedicated to serving students with learning disabilities.

The following two directories may be helpful in locating a college:

  • Peterson's Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit Disorders, sixth edition (Charles T. Mangrum II,Ed.D., and Stephen S. Strichart, Ph.D., eds., 2002).  Online directory at www.petersons.com.

  • The K&W Guide to Colleges: For Students with Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit Disorder

Related Topics:

Other Web Sites:

  • Association on Higher Education and Disability
    AHEAD is a professional organization dedicated to the higher education of individuals with disabilities.
  • College Board
    Information on seeking accommodations for tests administered through the College Board.
  • Edge Foundation
    The Foundation's mission is to help every child, adolescent and young adult with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to fully realize their own potential, personal vision, and passion.
  • ETS Guidelines for AD/HD Accomodations
    The Educational Testing Service administers many of the exams required for entrance in higher education programs, including the GMAT, SAT, and GRE.
  • GED Testing Service
    The American Council on Education provides comprehensive information on the General Educational Development test, as well as testing accomodations.
  • Heath Resource Center
    The Heath Resource Center at The George Washington University is the national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities.
  • Peterson's
    With more than 40 years of experience, Peterson's guides you through the education planning process with its personalized resources.
  • Rights and Responsibilities for Postsecondary Students with Disabilities
    This guide is published by the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights. It provides students with disabilities with information on their rights and responsibilities as they continue their education past high school. Instructions are included on the website for ordering this publication.
Frequently Asked Questions
My daughter wants to play college basketball. Will NCAA rules force her to stop taking her ADHD medication?
My daughter has ADHD and is a junior in college. There is a course requirement she must meet to graduate and so far she's failed the course three times. Is there any way she can get a waiver for this requirement so she can graduate?
What is Section 504?
If I request an evaluation, doesn't the school have to do it?
The school says my child has ADHD; now what do I do?
View all Frequently Asked Questions

Ask a question about AD/HD

Print Page · Email Page · About Us · Contact Us
Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Site Map